Many people have always been confused about how to stop dog barking. The first thing that you need to note is that barking is a natural and normal type of dog behavior. It is also a way through which dogs communicate or express their emotions. Therefore, it is not a good idea to always want your dog to stop barking. However, there are times in which a dog may be barking unnecessarily, especially when you’re not seeing anything to provoke such a behavior. In that case, it is wise that you learn the different strategies on how to stop barking dogs (learn about potty training a puppy here).
These are some of the things that you may do:
- More exercises – If you increase the number of exercises with your dog, when it is time to rest, the dog would be more tired and would hopefully not see the need to bark. Instead, your dog would be sleeping.
- Say, “NO” – sometimes, you may need to say, “NO” when your dog is barking. This is a message to him that his behavior is unacceptable. However, this should be done with caution so as not to make him feel unsafe near you.
- Go to him – you should attend to your dog whenever he is barking, do not expect him to come to you. Going to your dog shows that you are paying attention to him.
- The reason – you need to always discover the reason for which your dog is barking. Do not just assume that he is barking unnecessarily. As said above, dogs use barking to express a lot of things, which may even be the presence of danger.
- Use a shaker can – a neat little trick to stop dog barking is to fill an empty can with marbles or stones and seal it. Then, shake it when the dog is barking. Most dogs hate such noise, and will stop barking immediately. Timing is important here, make sure that you only shake the can if he is barking unwantedly, and stop shaking and soon as he stops.
- Give reward or play when quiet – always play with your dog when he is quiet and well behaved. You can even offer reward during such quiet moments. This will teach him that he will always enjoy good moments when he is not barking.
The understanding of how to stop a dog from barking can help you enjoy being a pet owner and prevent the headache of excessive barking when sleeping or working. You should keep in mind that dogs love owners who are very loving, and it would be cruelty to punish a dog for doing what is naturally part of him. With positive reinforcement and patience, you could successfully stop dog barking. However, if you do not have success in your goal, it is necessary to consult a pet behaviorist or board-certified veterinary behaviorist for suggestions on how to handle the issue.